oldest and grandest railroad station has been reborn on Polk Street, where
it swallows Dearborn Street. Opened in 1885, Dearborn Station was Chicago's
gateway to the West. It sent travelers to the Grand Canyon and received
celebrities from Hollywood via the Santa Fe Railway. After a fire in 1922,
the station was rebuilt and continued to operate until it closed in 1971.
The building was converted to offices in the 1980's, and gradually, the
abandoned railyards that stretched south from the station were redeveloped
into luxury townhomes and parks, including the Dearborn Park development.
about Dearborn Station from Jazz Age Chicago:
Station anchors South Loop's rebirth, from the Columbia College Chronicle
Louie in Dearborn Station